Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Creativity and New Media

Does anyone remember playing an online game called "Webkinz" about 10 years ago? I do. I remember going out with my parents as a kid begging them to spend $30 on a stupid little plush toy just so I could get the code inside it. Then i would go home and type this code into the webkinz website and playing for hours with my virtual furry avatar. At that age I didn't realize that i was actually participating in a type of New Media online as I interacted with other webkinz user's by playing games and chatting with them through the web. 
I thought it might be interesting to go back onto this website and see how creative I can be through this type of media. With my new webkinz (or avatar), named Isaac, I was able to create my own virtual living space, friends, and play games to earn money. I had total control of my avatar and how i wanted him to appear. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I remember playing this game as a kid (and also Neopets). It is interesting to see that many people chose some sort of game or toy from their younger days to show how they use new media to foster creativity. I think it is easier to think outside the box when your younger because you do not have preconceived notions regarding many things.

    ReplyDelete